You will create this assignment following the Assignment Detail instructions below. This assignment will be submitted in the Unit 1 - Submission Assignment lesson in intellipath.
Review the tutorial titled How to Submit the Intellipath Submission Assignment.
Please submit your work to this week’s Intellipath Unit Submission lesson. Click the Upload button within the submission lesson to access the submission area. Click the Select File button to upload your document, and then click "OK" to finish.
In this assignment, you will investigate the biotic and abiotic structure and function of an ecosystem. You will also investigate how ecosystems recover from disturbance naturally and through human restoration.
Choose 1 of the following ecosystems:
- Tropical rainforest
- Coral reef
You will write an APA-style research paper about your choice of ecosystem, including the following elements:
- Describe where this type of ecosystem might be located. Name 1 specific example.
- Describe nutrient cycling of carbon (i.e., the steps of the carbon cycle) using examples of living things specific to the ecosystem you have chosen.
- Describe 1 natural and 1 human-caused disturbance to the ecosystem that you have chosen, and explain the damage done to the ecosystem.
- Provide a specific example of 1 natural resource provided by the ecosystem that you have selected. (Note that air, water, and soil are common to all ecosystems.)
- How can the one resource you have described be sustained into the future?
- How can humans act as good stewards to assist the recovery of the ecosystem you have chosen after a disturbance? Provide 1 example specific to the ecosystem that you have chosen.
Utilize at least 1 credible source to support the arguments presented in the paper. Make sure you cite appropriately within your paper and list the reference(s) in APA format on your Reference page.
Your paper should be 2 pages minimum in length, not counting the Title page and Reference page. In accordance with APA formatting requirements, it should be double-spaced and include a running head and page numbers.